Friday, July 3, 2009

I'm ready for a holiday....

After the past week, I'm really anticipating our five days off! I think that all of the work pushed so close together has really tired me out. It's no wonder why today I'm having a little trouble unwinding. There are a few other minor reasons to add to that but I'll spare you. They are unimportant.

My short weekend was very nice. Monday was quiet, as we were all resting from our previous group. On Tuesday, Kate and I headed in to Dublin in the early afternoon. We went to the National Museum of Archeology and the National Library. We spent about 3 or 4 hours in the museum! There was a lot to see, including some really amazing religious artifacts. There was a shoe that belonged to St. Brigit and many items that belonged to St. Columba, the lesser known patron saint of Ireland. I enjoyed that exhibit immensely! The rest of the museum was interesting, but nothing too amazing in my opinion. Normal historical objects. :)

After the exploring, we walked down Grafton Street for a while and had lunch for a second time at Cornucopia. It's a wonderful vegetarian restaurant, and Kate's sister says it's the best in the world! Then we headed to Toni and Guy's Salon for my haircut. Because haircuts are really expensive here (average of 45 €) I decided to get it done by a trainee which would be much cheaper. It ended up being a very long haircut and the girl was super nice. When she walked me to the door she gave me her number and told me that I could call any time for another cut and it would be free! And then she shooed me out the door when I tried to pay her! So it was a free haircut with the promise of more in the future. Amazing huh? Very nice for a volunteer. When we got home I decided that I wanted a new color for my new style. I chose a reddish brown. I didn't want to go too crazy! But it ended up being much more red than I expected! It's taking getting used to, but I'm really starting to like it. And I fit in with the locals more. :)

We got up early on Wednesday to get ready for the group. There was a lot to do before 2pm when they were scheduled to arrive. Normally we have a working day before the group starts to prepare, but because of the weird schedule, there was no time for that. We managed to get it all done, however, and even make the place spotless before Sharon, the break house manager, arrived. Sharon lives in Cork and doesn't come up here very often. I have only met her once before at Kyle's going away party and that was for about five minutes! I was nervous about her being here for the group, and I wanted to make a good impression. Brenda was one of the first members to arrive. She lives in St. Michael's Hospital in a nearby town with four other CASA members (and, of course, many others.) I have met her once before, but only for a quick visit. She is in her 60s and has very limited speech. I was worried that I would have trouble communicating with her, but we got along very well. She is a very special person. On Wednesday night, we all had dinner and then we went bowling. Thursday morning went by very quickly with everyone getting ready and having breakfast before Jimmy (our bus driver) arrived at half eleven. It was my first time assisting someone in the shower alone, and I think I did very well! I was nervous that I would do something wrong, but everything turned out just fine! She is able to transfer out of her wheelchair very well, only needing someone or something to hold on to for balance. After we made it to the Pavillions, we were all off on our separate journeys through the mall. Brenda is a big fan of shopping, and we easily spent her 50 euro! We picked out a few jumpers and some jewelry. She loves to look nice and she received many compliments on her choices. We all met up at half two for the cinemas. Hannah Montana: The Movie was the film choice. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly thrilled by the pick. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected! And I heard several of the members singing along, so that was fun. After the movie we all headed back to change for dinner. We went to JJ's All American Bar and Grill again! I really like that place. And the members enjoyed it as well. When we got home, we were all pretty tired but we mustered up some energy for a quick game of Bingo.

This morning seems like a blur to me. After we were all awake and ready, we had a quick breakfast before Mass. Brenda really loves Mass and she was thrilled to sit by the priest! I was really touched by her singing "Here I Am Lord." She isn't really able to pronounce the words, but she sure knows how to join in to the song! It was a really special moment for me. I think there was a mixture of many emotions, including missing home, that caused me to tear up. Mass is really the only time that I feel homesick because it is such a big part of my family. I haven't cried once since I arrived almost two months ago (can you believe it's been almost two months!!??) but that moment got to me. It was really nice in a way. I guess it's the unity of Catholicism that I love the most. Even though I'm so far away I feel connected to home somehow through the Mass. But now I'm back to loving it here and not being able to imagine leaving. So don't worry!! :)

We had a small lunch before the members were picked up one by one in the afternoon. Another member I really enjoyed meeting is Michael. He is such a great presence in the house! He doesn't say much. His three words that he uses often are "happy" "no" and "yeah". He always gives a big thumbs up and says "Happy!!!" It is so great and it makes everyone smile. While we were on the bus at one point Kate asked him if he was ever sad and after a few seconds of contemplation he said, "No!" It was so funny! I look forward to seeing him again.

So now the house is relatively quiet. I'm in the office right now because our computer isn't working. I'm the only one in the house that doesn't own a laptop so I'm kind of cut off from home until they get it fixed. Using this computer is sort of a one time deal. (It's kind of ridiculous but that's all I'm gonna say about that...) So you might not get an update again for a while. Which is fine because I'll be out of town for my holiday anyways! I still need to pack! I better get on that now actually, because Kate and I are headed in to Dublin tonight for Operation De-Stress. I think some 80s karaoke is in order.

Until next time,
Claire

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, Irish girl....I totally relate to homesickness setting in during mass.....when I moved to Bend at the old age of 48, that was my very first time away from my family and my home church. Every Sunday when communion was served in my new church I could barely get through it because I knew during that same hour my Salem family was having commnion also and that was my strong tie and heart connection to them. Those are good tears, Sweetheart and anyway, tears make your face soft and you need a soft face to so with your RED hair! Much love!

    ReplyDelete