Sunday, January 17, 2010

Irish Arctic Blast of 2010

The first week of January was much like my winter in Portland last year. I spent five days in the house blocked in by a sheet of ice covered in snow. My more daring housemates still seemed to make it to the pub a few nights that week, but I was happy curling up by the fire and reading my book. I did make it to the village one of the days, out of sheer guilt and disgust with my lack of physical exertion. They say that the weather hasn't been this bad in many years. Figured it would happen the year I decide to live here. But I wasn't upset by the snow at all. Snow and I are great friends. It's the ice that kills me. We were supposed to work that week, but there really wasn't much we could do with the conditions outside. A new girl from Canada, (another Kate), showed up on Thursday morning. She instantly fit in, and doesn't mind the nickname Canada, because the Kate confusion is too much for our brains.

The ice melted just in time for our group on Tuesday. We all were feeling nervous about having a group that lasted a full four days, instead of the usual three. CASAs budget right now is so low that we've been cutting back on activities and relying on volunteer drivers. Because of this we were all completely confused as to why the management wants to expand our services. With all of this apprehension, it is fair to say that none of us wanted to do this group. However, we all went in hoping for the best, and I think it payed off. I was paired with Brenda Byrne. I've been with her before, so I knew what to expect. She doesn't talk much, but she enjoys being in the house and especially loves Mary Fox. To her delight, she and I were staying in Mary's room during the week. We planned out a full week of activities, and it worked out well. For the first time, we took the members to a museum. Almost every member really enjoyed doing something new, and it was free! Because of all of the activities planned, the time went by pretty fast. We saw Sherlock Homes and I enjoyed it. I think that after all of the bad movies we've seen in groups, I'm just so happy to see a movie that is entertaining to me at all, even if it isn't that great. I know a lot of people thought the movie was terrible, but I think most of those people are fans of the books. I completely understand why a fan of the stories would not be impressed by the movie at all. However, it was much better than Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakual, so no complaints here...

After the group was over we were all so exhausted. We had a meeting to discuss what we thought about the group. We were all mostly positive about it, but a few of us have concerns for the future group. The members are the most important factor in each group. If they aren't careful with who they pick to come in for four full days, then the groups can be awful. Also, I decided that spending 72 straight hours with another human being is too much for my brain. I really struggle with giving up my personal space for so long. So even though the group went well, and I enjoyed being with Brenda, I still feel that the four day groups are unnecessary. But c'est la vie....

That night we celebrated Lennart's 20th birthday! All of eight of us went to Gibney's and it was so much fun! I'm really going to miss going there. This guy at the bar asked Lennart to introduce us girls to him. Lennart told him to grow a pair and do it himself! So when Lennart went to the bathroom that guy just came and sat down at our table. It was so awkward and annoying! Then his even jerkier friend came over and at that point we were all ready to go. So we went back and partied a bit more at the house. I'd say Lennart enjoyed his night. :)

Today we are having a social at the Hilton. Afterwards we'll make our way to town to O'Neill's for our favorite Irish band. Tomorrow, we are all taking advantage of our five day weekend by going on mini trips. Canada, Lisa, and I are going to Belfast for three days. I've never been up to Northern Ireland so it will be a new experience for me. We received a free day trip to Giant's Causeway and I am SO excited for it! I hear that it is such an amazing thing to see.

Well I hope you are enjoying your first month of 2010! I can't believe the month is halfway over.... Three more months and I'll be home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment