Sunday, September 13, 2009

Replacement Italians

That week of training was almost painful. I realize that most of you have real jobs with real training that is actually painful, and I'm just being whiny, but oh well. After that long week of cleaning and meetings, we had a few days off. I was a little sad because I was going to be missing out on the Vandecoevering Labor Day camp out that has been going on since I was a little girl. I've never missed one before! So I decided that I should have my own American-style BBQ here. The most important part was the s'mores! I couldn't find graham crackers but I found some cookies that worked ok. We invited Federico and Gio over, and we all had so much fun! We've been hanging out with them quite a bit lately, and we decided they are our replacement "Gabriele." (Although, no one could really replace Lele!)

On Sunday we all went to meet up with our Italians in Dublin. We had a pint at Murray's Pub and then got some food before heading to The George. That is the gay bar that we go to for gay bingo! I was really excited to go again, but Federico and Lennart were less than thrilled. Federico has three gay roommates, so he wasn't a stranger to The George. Poor Lennart got hit on by a 45 year old gay man from Dublin named Patrick. I really loved him though and we were chatting for a while. After a few performances, bingo began. There were 8 of us there and none of us got even close! Lennart and I were on the edge of our seats because we decided that if either of us won the 1400 euro jackpot we would share it. So after the bingo we relaxed and watched a few more performances. My favorite drag queen wasn't there, but Shirley Temple Bar was and she was hilarious!

On Tuesday, Federico and Gio came over again to make us asparagus risotto, caprese salad, and tiramisu. It was so much fun to have them in our kitchen, and the food was delicious! We were very spoiled. Afterward we played a round of Pictionary. It was Kate, Gio, and Lisa against Federico, Lennart, and me. The language barrier was only an issue a few times. At one point Lisa was like, "Oh I know this word but it's really hard to draw!" Lennart replied with, "Well that's the game!" It was so funny. Another one of my favorite moments was when Lennart had accidentally picked up a "Category" card and for "action" he actually drew "action." We laughed so hard! It had nothing to do with the fact that he is German and English is his second language. That is just purely a blond moment. So funny...

Our group began Wednesday at 2pm. My girl was here about an hour early, but I was prepared for that ahead of time. Her name is Martina Kane. She has an intellectual disability. Mostly, all she required was patience. She is very anxious all the time, and repeats things that she worries about over and over, as well as her name. "My name is MARtina Kane. Not MarTINA. MARtina." I had met her once before, and I knew that I might struggle with my patience. But I was surprised at how easy we got on. I was able to help her with her anxiety, without invalidating her worried impulses. Sometimes others would try to tease her, and she would start to stress out, and that always added more work for me. But other than that, the group went smoothly. The new people did great with their members, and I think they all feel more comfortable now that they know what to expect.

Friday night was quiet...we all did our own thing. Kate, Kaitlyn and I went to Gibney's for a pint. The crowd was very strange...a mix between older people and 18 year olds. We only stayed for one drink. We were all tired after the group. Yesterday was also a lazy day. I stayed in for the entire day and finished my book "Scarlett" and watched the movie "Taxi Driver". "You talking to me? Are you talking to ME?" It was ok... the cinematography was impressive. And Jodi Foster as a 13 year old prostitute was crazy! I feel like Robert Deniro is always a crazy person in all of his films... Anyways, later last night, Kate and I escaped this zoo without zebras and went to Dublin. While waiting for the bus, a lady ran out of petrol and the guy in the car behind her got out and offered to move her car to the side. The guy at the bus stop also went over to help. When he came back we started chatting with him. His name is Johnny and he lives here in Malahide. He's a journalism major and he will be going to grad school soon. We talked with him all the way into city center and he invited us to hang out with his friends. It was kind of freaky how much they reminded me of a Portland crowd. Very Left-Wing and sort of self righteous, but fun and chill at the same time. We went to a bar and then to a club for dancing. I have to admit that I wasn't really interested in going to The Button Factory for dancing, but after a while I ignored the terrible music and people elbowing me in the face and just had fun dancing with Kate. We made it to the late bus at 3am to head back home.

Now I'm about to head out with everyone for my first CASA social. Every month from September to May, they host a social at a hotel for 200 volunteers and members. There will be a Mass, followed by lunch and dancing. I'm excited. It should be fun, even though it will be work as well. Later tonight we have plans to meet up with Federico and Gio for drinks and music at O'Neill's.

I hope all is well at home.
Love,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment