Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sick and Stuck in the House

Well, it's official. I'm sick. I woke up today with my nose running and my throat really sore. I was feeling crappy yesterday, but it was only my throat and lungs and exhaustian which I thought was due to too many late nights. Anyways, this is not exactly the way I want to spend my weekend. We start work again tomorrow and I don't know if I should go on the visit. But I'll just take it easy today and see how I feel.

Ok now that I'm done whining about being sick, I can back up and talk about the group. Aishling (one of my favorite Irish names) arrived a little after 4pm on Friday. She is 19 years old, and she has such a big personality! She is so expressive with her face, and although she cannot speak, she can say what she wants to say either by her expressions or by her computer that she types into and it speaks for her. She is also able to drive her electric wheelchair which was great for her independance, but not so great for my shins. Needless to say, she liked to drive fast. But I learned quickly to watch where she was going, because she certaintly didn't! It took a few minutes for her to warm up to me because there were others here that she knew well. But once she did we had so much fun! We had dinner here that night, and then went to bowling soon after. We haven't been bowling in a while so I was excited to go. Aishling was the best in our lane and that was really exciting for her. When we got home, we had a karaoke night and it was a big success! Aishling had no interest in singing with me, but when it was over I took my laptop and she loved looking at my pictures. She developed a crush on Jose, my fellow volunteer from Spain. She wanted to see every picture I had of him. The crush was cute at first, and Jose was so good about it. But by the end of the weekend she would shut down when he wasn't in the room and by Sunday she refused to eat breakfast unless he would sit by her! A mondern-day Ghandhi... Anyways, besides that little annoyance, I had a really fun weekend with her. She is really funny and such a sweetheart. We went to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in 3D on Saturday afternoon. I made the mistake of saying that I couldn't see 3D and she was concerned that I didn't enjoy it the whole time! But actually, I used the 3D glasses and it helped the screen to look normal to me, even though I couldn't see things popping out. The movie was pretty cute. After that we had a nice meal back home, provided by two volunteer chefs from Hong Kong. It was delicious! We played bingo later that night, and went to bed. The next day was a little long for us all. I like the groups better when they go from 2pm Friday until 2pm Sunday. Everyone in the house is always tired on the last day.

When everyone was gone, we had a quick meeting to close the group. Siobhan (a volunteer who's been here for three weeks) left a few hours later to Cork. She started classes the next day. Oh I forgot to mention that we have a new voluteer. Peter from South Korea came on Saturday evening, during the group! It was very hectic for us and especially for him. But he adjusted to the chaos well, considering. So anyways, Sunday night we all went out to a new pub called Smyth's. Well it's new to us...we frequent Gibney's when we go to the village. It was a nice place to sit down with friends. We came home late and I stayed up even later. I was already feeling sick, so I'm really stupid for going out at all. The entire day yesterday was spent in my pajamas and watching movies. I couldn't sleep at all, even when the house was empty for the three hours the cleaners were here. I wasn't tired until about 11 last night while watching Heathers. (Have you seen that movie? It's so bad it's good! "What's your DAMAGE Heather?") Anyways, I practically ran for my bed as soon as the movie was over. I was hoping to sleep in a lot today, but I woke up around half eight. Since then I've had tea and toast and watched The Last of the Mohicans and Beauty and the Beast. Next up is 12 Angry Men, the old version. I've only seen the newer one, so I'm excited for that.

Sorry for this pathetic post. Hopefully I'll have some more exciting entries soon!
Love,Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment