Monday, May 18, 2009

Cliffs of Moher

Hello!

Yesterday was such an amazing day! Five of us (Johnny, Gabriele, May, Bohye, and I) got up at 6:30am and left to get a rental car for the day. We all packed a few sandwiches each and snacks so that we wouldn't have to buy any food. I had my food in my own bag, but everyone elses was in one bag. After driving an hour, Johnny and Gabriele discovered that they left the food at the rental place!! They were all so angry at poor Gabriele. I offered to share my food, but it was of course not nearly enough for everyone for two meals. We stopped at a small market somewhere in the middle of Ireland to get food. It was actually very funny!

We then headed over to the west coast of Ireland (we are on the east coast) and it only took us about 3 hours to go across the entire country! It was such a beautiful drive. There really is no place like Ireland. I am so in love with this country.

My batteries were dead for my camera and my charger decided to break. So I have no pictures of my own. As soon as May lets me borrow hers, I'll put them on Facebook.

We went to the Cliffs of Moher first. What an amazing place! It's so hard to describe how beautiful it was. We walked along the edge, and Gabriele was so mad that they put up a stone wall! He says it's because of the stupid American tourists who fell off the edge! I think he's right... :) There was also the O'Brien Tower which was great to see. (Yes, I did think of you, Christy and Eamon!) After we walked around for a bit, we left to go to the Ring of Kerry. I think that it was the most magnificant place I've ever been! If any of you come to Ireland, you must go there! There are huge rocky hills and a road that drives through it. There is also a river that flows along the road. We saw lots of wildlife. Sheep, deer, ducks, heron (I think...) and many other animals. There are no words to describe it, so you must look for the pictures when I put them up.

I love driving through the country because you never know when you'll pass an old stone building or ruins. They are everywhere! It's like a tresure hunt!

We left the Ring of Kerry, and we got a little lost. But I didn't mind because the ride was so enjoyable. I'll never worry about getting lost in Ireland. :) We drove a bit more but then we decided to head home. We were all so tired and it was 3 more hours to get back. Gabriele took a turn driving, which was all scary for us! We all know how those Italians drive...He did ok though. :) We finally got into Dublin, and we were so happy to be near home. But then we saw the sirens. The police came up to the car and asked Gabriele to get out of the car. All we saw was two guarda talking to him. He gets back in the car and says, "No problem!" He had run a red light! Stupid, Italian! haha He is very lucky that they didn't check his ID because he wasn't old enough to drive a rental car. Apparently, the guarda don't care about anyone driving a rental car because it is too much trouble to give tourists tickets. We were lucky! We got home about 15 minutes later. Whew! Such a long day! We got home about 2am. I slept until 12pm today!

I'm not sure what I'll do today. I think I'll head into Malahide village and run some errands. The cleaners come here around 2 and it is adviced that we leave and let them work. I need to get some batteries and figure out a cell phone plan. I didn't think I'd need one, but they told me I have to get one so they can keep track of me when I'm out. C'est la vie.

We have another day off tomorrow, and then a training day Wednesday. I think we are traveling to the country side on Thursday as a group. And then a group of members come in on Friday for the weekend. It's a group of children this time! It should be a lot of fun.

I'll write again soon! Love,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment