Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Newest Challenge

Well I just got done with my third group. Everyone showed up at our house around 4pm on Friday afternoon. We all just spent some time in the living room and visited for an hour or so until we had dinner, which was made by a volunteer. My girl was Sarah. She is 19 and she has cerebral palsy, which keeps her in a wheelchair. But that doesn't slow her down! She is very active, and even made it over to New York last year to compete in track and field. She is extremely friendly and loves to talk. I'm afraid my only shortcoming in her eyes was that I am a girl and not a cute boy. But other than that we got along very well. It was a big change from last week when I wasn't talking so much as I was running around a lot. This weekend was all about conversation, which was great.

After dinner, we all went bowling. All of the members seemed to love that, but Sarah was the winner with a record 100! That didn't go over so well with Martin, who was only a few points behind. After we got back I expected to stay up late like we did on the other groups, but we must have tired them all out! We were all in bed and asleep by 11. Saturday morning we all got up and got ready for breakfast. To be honest I was nervous about helping Sarah out with changing and showering, but it all went smoothly. Khadija, my supervisor, was there to do most of it, and Sarah was very vocal about what she needed. It made it much easier for me than I expected. After we all had breakfast we were off to the Pavillions where we went shopping and had lunch. Sarah was determined to help me find slippers, but we actually found a lot of things for her instead. She was so excited about the good deals she got. She is quite the bargain shopper. (She'd give you a run for your money, Dad.) We had a quick lunch and met up with the rest of the group to see Night at the Museum 2. Most of the members enjoyed the film, with the exception of Erin's girl Marie who needed some sleep. :) We all piled back into the van very tired and ready to go home.

The weather is so beautiful right now, especially for Ireland. The sun is shining with no rain and it's actually warm! So instead of going out to eat last night we all helped put together a BBQ. We have a nice backyard, so we all sat in the sun and shared a meal together. It was so nice, and it was great to break up the routine for the members who have been coming here for a long time. We were all pleased with the success of the day. We had some ice cream and then spent a little time hanging out in the living room before some of the members wanted to go to bed. It was only half nine, as the Irish say. But the rest of us played bingo (jealous Katie?) and that was really fun. But that was about all we could take before we were all ready for bed.

This morning we all got up and had breakfast. We got to sit out in the sun again and wait until it was time to head out for Mass. They were unable to get a driver, but it was a blessing in disguise. We all got to walk to Mass in this amazing weather, and we packed a lunch to take with us for afterwards. Boyhe and I made some sandwiches and Khadija got some drinks. It was perfect. After Mass we walked over to the Malahide Castle Park and had our picnic. We headed back around half 2 and got everyone packed and ready to go.

It was such a nice weekend that they were all sad to leave. But I must say I'm ready for a few days off! Erin and I are headed back to the park and I'll actually get to see the castle. Can you believe I've been here three weeks and I haven't taken the 15 minute walk to the castle by my house? I managed to make it all the way to the other side of Ireland before I made it to the Malahide Castle. Everyone here won't let me forget it so I am excited to get over there. :)

We have two days off and then another group on Wednesday. Not much time to relax so I better make the most of it. I might head out to the beach tomorrow because it's supposed to be another nice day.

I hope you're all doing well and I miss you guys!

Love,
Claire

1 comment:

  1. Bingo?!?!? Yes, I AM jealous! :) Love your blogs sis. Well, it's half 1 (I think?) and I gotta get on with my day! :) Ttyl!

    ReplyDelete