Friday, May 29, 2009

My First Night Out

Well my actual weekend (Monday and Tuesday) were completely uneventful, which I was very happy about! I was so exhausted after the last group that I didn't feel like doing anything! And in addition to be mentally and physically drained, I was sick on top of it.

On Wednesday, we had a BBQ at the house to say goodbye to Kyle. Kyle has been a volunteer in this house for two years, and he is leaving early tomorrow morning. He means a lot to this organization and to all the members. So all of us volunteers had a big job of running a BBQ for 30+ people. We got up early to clean, made all the food, set up the tables outside, and entertained the guests. Most of the guests were members, so a lot of them needed extra attention. After we had everything set up outside and everyone was all settled in with their food and drinks, it started raining! It shouldn't have been much of a surprise but we weren't prepared for it! So we all hurried to get inside and then made an attempt at saving the food. Everyone squeezed into the living room, which was quite an accomplishment! For the rest of the evening we all just ate and visited with the guests until about half past seven when the big soccer match began. Now anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely hate soccer. I think it is the most boring sport (besides golf...even though golf isn't a sport) of all time. However, you can't live in Europe without watching the damn game, so I've tried to embrace it. And when I heard that my room mates were placing a bet on Barcelona I couldn't help myself! Gambling always makes things more interesting! So I put 10 euro on the game, and I wasn't disappointed! We won against Manchester 2-0. It was actually a lot of fun. :)

I got up very early yesterday to head in to Dublin with May. I needed to get my visa because I'll be here for an entire year. It was great to actually see the city in the day time, but I wished I could have seen more of it. Unfortunately, yesterday was a day of cleaning and preparing for our next group that starts this afternoon. So there was no time to hang out in the city. I wasn't too bummed though because later that night, all the volunteers went out to show Kyle a good time on his last night out in Dublin. I was super excited because I have been dying to go out in Dublin since I got here a few weeks ago.

We started at this really cool restaurant called The Church. It's actually a renovated church that once was St. Mary's Church of Ireland. They still had the old organ and a few statues. Apparently, Arthur Guinness was married there! After that, we started pub hopping. I honestly can't remember all the names of the places we went. And it isn't because I was drinking! I only had a few last night. I was just so tired and they all sound the same! One of them had a live band that played traditional Irish music. It was three people about my age and they were so good! I really enjoyed that.

We ended up at a night club around one in the morning. We all got out there and danced! It was so much fun! The only not so fun thing was when this guy came up and grabbed my hand and tried to hit on me in the middle of the dance floor! I couldn't hear him, and I tried to politely excuse myself back to my group but he wouldn't let go! My stupid guy friends totally dropped the ball on this one. They didn't see him at all. I eventually forced my hand out of his and just walked away! Crazy Irishmen...Erin and I actually saw that guy later that night outside and he tried to do the same thing. She got him to leave us and he went right over to the next group of girls. I don't think he was too hurt. :P

After we all danced as much as we possibly could, we got a taxi and headed back home. I had a really good time, and I think I got my fill of the night life for a while. :)

Now I'm just relaxing before the group starts today. I think it will be another new challenge for me, so say some prayers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment