Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Long Hikes and Local Liquor Shops

Hello all!

It is 6:30pm and I am TIRED! I just got back from an entire day of walking. And as you probably know I'm usually a very lazy girl! My room mates May (from Hong Kong) and Bohye (from South Korea), and I hopped on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) that took us to a suburb of Dublin called Howth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howth). It is a small peninsula that has many huge houses all around it. But there is a trail that goes around the whole thing, and that is the part that we walked. We were about 5 feet away from falling to our death for the majority of the time. But it was SO windy that if I tripped I would have flew into the field and not over the edge. It was quite a long walk, but definitely worth it. We cut through the peninsula towards the end and followed the road back to the DART station, instead of walking the rest of the way along the coast.

On the way back to the house we stopped in the little Malahide shopping area to go to the library and O'Brien's, which is the liquor shop. It is crazy expensive for alcohol here, so we all got a few cans of beer. (Typically around $2.50 for one can.) So I got the cheapest one, which just happened to be a budweiser. I definitely got made fun of for that! But I had a real guinness last night so everyone just needs to leave me alone! haha There were two young guys working behind the counter so I tried to use some of my American charm. I think it worked! I think I'll definitely by stopping by there again soon. :) (Although I admit I'm embarrassed now about that damn budweiser...they probably think I'm a stupid American!)

So now the girls are making dinner and I feel like I should go and help. That is all for now. I hope you're all having fun without me! How was that "Claire's Finally Gone Party?" :)

Love,
Claire

PS I can't put pictures on here, but they will be on Facebook. Let me know if you want an email. The lighthouse was beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day.
    Glad to hear things are going good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you think of us at O'Brien's? :) I love reading the updates... keep 'em coming!
    -Christy

    ReplyDelete